For more than 35 years, the Colorado attorneys at the The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates have helped families navigate complex matters such as divorce and criminal defense. Our lawyers invest time, energy and resources in order to secure favorable outcomes for our clients. To schedule an appointment, call our office in Denver at 720-773-5708 or fill out the form below.

The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates
724 East 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 720-773-5708
Fax: 303-539-0706
Map and Directions

When should a custody agreement be changed?

Although parents in Colorado separate for any number of reasons, the safety and well-being of the children is usually a shared area of concern. Most parents in Colorado will need to work together to come to a child custody agreement that suits the new situation. However, as children grow and evolve, the custody arrangement may need to be amended. Here’s how to know when changing a child custody arrangement may be necessary.

Usually, the primary reason a parent needs to change an existing custody arrangement is that the arrangement no longer fits the needs of the child. When one or both parents feel that the current schedule or arrangement is no longer feasible, the parent(s) will need to show the court that changing the arrangement will support the well-being of the child or children. For example, if one parent is required to move for a job opportunity, a custody arrangement of alternating weeks between parents may no longer be doable. Parents would need to agree on a new arrangement then take the agreed upon arrangement to the court.

Contrary to popular belief, a one-size-fits-all approach is usually not the best arrangement. The most effective child custody arrangements usually include creative solutions customized to fit a family’s specific needs. Always remember that young children are often fearful of change and will pick up on stress. Communicate with the children to keep them comfortable and grounded during this process.

When going through a stressful change such as this, it is tempting for a parent to see the circumstances solely from his or her point of view. Those in Colorado who have questions about child custody or amending a custody arrangement may want to speak with a legal representative. An attorney experienced in family law can give parents insight to things outside of their own perspective and help to present a clear and cohesive case to the court.


FindLaw Network