Call now to begin your free consultation
Phone 720-773-5708

Denver Family Law Blog

Taking control of your finances during your divorce

Facing the prospect of a divorce has likely left your head spinning, wondering what to do to protect yourself and your future. The years immediately following a divorce are often ones of rebuilding in many areas of your life. People often find themselves struggling to trust others again, working to repair relationships with their children and even finding a new set of friends after a painful divorce.

One area in which you may have some control is your finances. Taking a proactive approach to your divorce may allow you to avoid the financial struggles that many people face post-divorce. This means taking steps to protect your business and fighting to get your fair share of the marital assets in the divorce settlement.

Individual circumstances matter in child custody cases

Nothing beats spending time with your children. When you are divorced, you likely don't get to do this as much as you want to. Unfortunately, you and your ex will have to split the time with the children. It is imperative that you take the time to focus on getting a child custody order that enables you to do this in a meaningful way. We are here to help you make this happen.

Child custody matters are fickle. What works for one family isn't going to work for another one. This is why you have to consider everything as it pertains to your situation. Instead of focusing on what worked for a friend, take an honest look at how it might work for your situation.

Domestic violence can impact your health

Domestic violence is a serious matter that has a lot of impacts. For the victims of the abuse, there are health effects that can begin to creep up over time. While you might think that you are only going to have to deal with these if you are physically abused, this isn't the case. You can face health effects if you are the victim of domestic violence that didn't involve physical contact, such as with emotional abuse.

The health impacts of a person who is physically abused are usually pretty easy to spot. They might suffer from bruises and cuts. Broken bones and head injuries are also possible. But, things can go far beyond those. In some cases, the effects aren't noticeable from the outside.

Help your teen understand the divorce and how to cope

Divorcing when you have a child is a challenge, but it can be a very trying time when you are dealing with a teenager. A teen has become accustomed to the way of life that involves you and your ex still together. They might push against the divorce to the point that they make both parents miserable. It is up to you to help the child work through the problems they are experiencing. You and your ex might have to work together to ensure that the child's best interests are a priority.

It is easy to forget that a teenager isn't yet an adult. They don't have the same coping skills as an adult. Instead of expecting them to just blindly accept the divorce, you need to take the time to help them understand what it means to work through the situation in a productive manner. While you are doing this, make sure you help them deal with their emotions and find appropriate ways to express them.

Take the time to protect your interests in high asset divorce

You worked hard to amass your wealth, and over the years, you may have been happy to share your funds with your spouse in order for you both to live comfortable and enjoyable lives. Now, however, you face the difficult task of going through divorce, and the willingness to spread the love monetarily may no longer be present.

It is true that high-asset divorce cases can have their complexities, and you certainly do not want to lose out unnecessarily. Luckily, you can make efforts yourself to ensure that you work to protect your assets, and your team of legal and financial professionals could also do their part to help you achieve the outcomes your desire.

If you don't pay child support, the state may come after you

In Colorado and every other state, when a parent receives an order to financially support his or her children, the state will work hard to make sure the money is paid. A child support order is not a "pay it if you will" kind of thing. If you do not pay, the state has a number of ways to enforce the order.

According to the Colorado Department of Human Services, enforcement remedies come in both court and administrative actions. What are these enforcement remedies?

Divorce doesn't always have to test your patience

Hearing the word divorce will likely conjure up mental images of fighting and strife. The truth is that divorces can be very amicable if the parties involved decide to work together for the mutual goal of legally ending the marriage. The issue that might come up is that both parties have to make this decision. If only one person wants an amicable end and the other is focused on making life difficult, the latter will likely make this a nightmare.

Two of the most common ways to hash out the divorce terms is to go through mediation or to use the collaborative process. In both of these, you and your ex will discuss the matters at hand and try to agree on what solution is agreeable. This might take some back and forth but it will be worth the effort.

Are you at risk for divorce beyond age 50?

Most Colorado spouses would agree that marriage doesn't always play out as planned. You'd also be among a likely majority if you say it's reasonable to assume that most people expect their marital relationships to last a lifetime. All you have to do to prove that people are not always able to realize such expectations is review current divorce statistics. In reality, many married couples decide that going separate ways is better than remaining in relationships with unresolved differences. 

If you're age 50 or beyond, you may be more at risk for divorce than those in their 20s or 30s. The over-50 age group has had the highest divorce rate in recent years. People who divorce late in life often give similar reasons as to the factors that caused the breakdowns in their relationships. If you think you're headed for divorce court, there's no better time than the present to research state laws and tap into available support resources to help you prepare and to protect your best interests.                

Sever contact with your ex by avoiding monthly alimony payments

For people who don't have children, there often isn't much of a desire to keep in contact with an ex after a divorce. One thing might prevent you from being able to make a clean break from your ex -- having to pay alimony.

There is an alternative to having to make monthly alimony payments to your ex. Some individuals will try to work out a deal for a lump sum payment so that there isn't a need to remain in contact and make those regular payments. This option isn't right for everyone since not everyone has the available money to do this, but those who do might find this to be an attractive way to sever the relationship.

Consider your divorce settlement carefully from the start

Trying to make decisions about your divorce might be difficult. There are so many variables that you have to consider. While it is understandable that you might want everything to end as quickly as possible, you need to make sure that your rushing isn't causing you to make errors in the divorce. We know that you just want to move on with your life. We are here to help you evaluate the options that you have so you can determine how they are going to impact you now and into the future.

One thing that many people believe is that they can always go back and have the divorce order modified. This simply isn't the case. In fact, it is hard to get a modification of a divorce order. There are very few situations that would actually qualify for this.

If you need help, contact us as soon as possible.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley

Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley
724 East 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80203

Toll Free: 866-428-3981
Phone: 720-773-5708
Fax: 303-539-0706
Denver Law Office Map

Email:[email protected]

Review Us