Your divorce ended with a parenting plan, laying out all the responsibilities for you and your spouse. But it turns out it’s hard to craft the ideal strategy that fits into your changing life. Fortunately, there’s a way you can make changes when your blueprints are falling woefully short.

Child support payments can differ by up to $700 from state to state, with Colorado coming in on the lower end. When the courts stick you with a parenting plan that isn’t living up to your expectations, there are circumstances where you can ask for more money and more time for raising your children.

Modifying interests

You can’t seek out a modification whenever you please, but the rules do allow for you to ask the courts to change things up when it’s in the best interest of the child:

  • Requirements: You’ll already need to have a court-ordered plan in place to apply for a modification, and past applications can have an impact on when you’re allowed to go through the process again. The request will need to spell out how the plan will change and how that change is in the best interest of the children.
  • Changes: When you submit your plan, you’ll also need to include any changes to child support that the courts need to make. The payments can only take place if there’s been a significant change in circumstances, generally a 10% shift up or down.
  • Dangers: Imminent dangers to your children typically mean you can forego restrictions on requests, and you might see a speedier process. Risks that can arise include physical hazards and threats to emotional development alike.

It’s hard to get the perfect plan right out of the gate, especially as things can change so drastically over time. Knowing when you can request a modification is the first step toward getting a setup that works for you and your family.