Financial support for children doesn’t stop just because the parents get divorced. Instead, one parent will usually have to make payments to the other parent to use on the children. This is known as child support. When a child support order is issued, the current needs of the children and the financial situation of both parents is taken into account.

As time progresses, there might be circumstances that change. Some of these might necessitate a child support modification. These are possible in certain instances, so you will need to find out if your situation qualifies for one.

Some of the points that might qualify for a modification include significant changes in income or assets or changes in the child’s expenses. When these occur, you should take action as quickly as possible.

One thing to remember about child support payments is that you have to continue to make the payments as scheduled. You will be in arrears if you fail to make these payments as required. This can lead to legal troubles if you don’t get the payments current quickly.

The court can’t apply a modification order retroactively. This means that you need to get the process started as quickly as you can so that you can start to have the benefit of the reduction in payments if your income has stopped or decreased.

Working through a modification petition for child support can be difficult. When you are facing life changes that might make this necessary, don’t try to hide from them. The more your arrears balance is, the more dire the situation.