For more than 35 years, the Colorado attorneys at the The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates have helped families navigate complex matters such as divorce and criminal defense. Our lawyers invest time, energy and resources in order to secure favorable outcomes for our clients. To schedule an appointment, call our office in Denver at 720-773-5708 or fill out the form below.

The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates
724 East 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 720-773-5708
Fax: 303-539-0706
Map and Directions

Child support modification tips for paying parents

Paying child support isn’t on many people’s list of favorite things to do. For the parents who pay child support, there are sometimes situations that come up that would require them to seek a modification to the child support order. If you find yourself in this position, take these tips into account:

— Talk to the child’s other parent to see if you can reach an agreement about child support based on your current situation. In some cases, this is an easier option than having to go to court to try and battle it out.

— Learn about the options that you have for child support. State laws dictate what is suitable and what is required for child support. Any agreement you come to must take these points into account. If there is anything you don’t understand, you can seek out answers to your questions.

— Take action quickly to get the child support order modified. Any arrears that accumulate wouldn’t be able to be dismissed and usually can’t be retroactively reduced, so the faster you take action, the better. If your circumstance hasn’t changed yet, but you have knowledge that it will change, consider filing the modification when you have that knowledge.

— Make sure that when you file for modification, you do so with the proper court and with appropriate documentation. You will need to show that you have a valid reason, such as a job loss or decrease in pay, to seek out the modification. Even if you and the other parent agree on the modification, the new agreement will have to be filed with the court so that it can be approved.

Source: FindLaw, “Child Support Modification Tips,” accessed Nov. 10, 2016


FindLaw Network