For more than 35 years, the Colorado attorneys at the The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates have helped families navigate complex matters such as divorce and criminal defense. Our lawyers invest time, energy and resources in order to secure favorable outcomes for our clients. To schedule an appointment, call our office in Denver at 720-773-5708 or fill out the form below.

The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates
724 East 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 720-773-5708
Fax: 303-539-0706
Map and Directions

What will happen to my military retirement in my divorce?

On Behalf of | Apr 23, 2017 | Divorce |

If you are in the military and have a pension, you likely have concerns regarding what will happen to that money during your divorce. Will you be able to keep your retirement intact? Will your spouse walk away with a significant portion of your savings? These are important questions, and you would be wise to approach these issues with the help of an attorney experienced in the complexities of a military divorce.

Who gets what?

While Colorado divorce laws can affect your military divorce, the Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act is a federal statute that allows for the treatment of military pension as property instead of income. Whether you are the military service member or a non-military spouse wondering what you are entitled to, you may benefit from knowing some of the following about divorce, pension and the military:

  • Direct retirement payments always come through the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).
  • For an ex-spouse to receive direct payments, the duration of the marriage must be at least 10 years overlapping with at least 10 years of military service.
  • Being ineligible for direct pay through DFAS does not mean that an ex-spouse does not have a rightful claim to a portion of retirement savings.
  • An ex-spouse cannot receive more than 50 percent of his or her ex-spouse’s pension payments.

There are multiple ways to calculate the appropriate share of military pension that an ex-spouse can receive. The three ways to do this include:

  • Identifying the amount of payment by calculating the net present value of the pension account is common if the spouses prefer a one-time buyout.
  • Deferred distribution when determining the share amount occurs at the time of the divorce, but there is a deferral of payments until the military spouse retires.
  • Reserve jurisdiction is the most common method, and this occurs when the calculation of the amount designated for the ex-spouse is done at the time of the military service member’s retirement.

The division of military pension is one of the most common sources of confusion and conflict during a military divorce. Regardless of your position on this matter, an attorney with experience in these unique issues can help you protect your rights and advocate for a strong post-divorce future on your behalf.



FindLaw Network