For more than 35 years, the Colorado attorneys at the The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates have helped families navigate complex matters such as divorce and criminal defense. Our lawyers invest time, energy and resources in order to secure favorable outcomes for our clients. To schedule an appointment, call our office in Denver at 720-773-5708 or fill out the form below.

The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates
724 East 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 720-773-5708
Fax: 303-539-0706
Map and Directions

How does child support impact income taxes?

Child support orders are often difficult for parents to deal with. The parent who is paying the support might have trouble making the payments. The parent who is receiving the child support might always stress out about whether child support is going to show up on time or not.

The fact is that nothing is easy when you and your ex have a child together and aren’t in a relationship together any longer. One thing that you need to think about in these cases is how the child support payments will impact your taxes.

Do I have to pay taxes on child support I receive?

You don’t have to pay taxes on child support you get. Child support payments mustn’t be factored into the amount of earnings you claim on your income taxes. This means that the payments won’t count toward the income you made for the purpose of deductions or the earned income tax credit.

Can I deduct the child support I pay?

Child support can’t be deducted from the income you claim on your taxes. This means that you will have to pay taxes on the payments since they are part of your income.

The tax implications of child support are only one factor you have to think about when you are a party involved in a child support case. If you have any questions about what you need to pay or how you should handle child support, you should make sure that you have those questions answered so that you can decide how you are going to handle the issues before you.

Source: FindLaw, “Child Support and Taxes Q&A,” accessed April 14, 2017


FindLaw Network