For more than 35 years, the Colorado attorneys at the The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates have helped families navigate complex matters such as divorce and criminal defense. Our lawyers invest time, energy and resources in order to secure favorable outcomes for our clients. To schedule an appointment, call our office in Denver at 720-773-5708 or fill out the form below.

The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates
724 East 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 720-773-5708
Fax: 303-539-0706
Map and Directions

What are some common family law terms?

On Behalf of | Oct 28, 2016 | Family Law Issues |

When you are going through a divorce or child custody issue, there are specific terms that you should be familiar with. These terms can all have an impact on your case, so learning what they mean can help you to better understand what is going on with your case. This is especially true for the terms that have to do with processes or proceedings that you might have to go through.

What is an interrogatory?

An interrogatory is a set of written questions that are prepared by your ex’s side. When you are presented with an interrogatory, you must submit answers to the questions. Typically, this is done while the case is still in the discovery phase.

What is the discovery phase?

The discovery phase is when the parties in the case exchange information that can include the interrogatories and depositions. You may also be asked to produce certain documents or other evidence as part of the discovery phase.

What is a deposition?

A deposition is a part of the way that the two sides can exchange information. In this process, you and your attorney meet with the attorney for your ex. That attorney would ask you questions and then a transcript with the exchange is prepared.

What is a settlement conference?

This is when you and your lawyer would meet with your ex and that lawyer to see if you can come up with a settlement agreement so that you don’t have to go to trial. In many cases, this is a proceeding that is ordered by the court.

It is important to note that these proceedings can occur in child custody cases or in divorce cases. In some cases, they can also occur when you are seeking a modification of a family law order.

Source: FindLaw, “Divorce Glossary,” accessed Oct. 28, 2016


FindLaw Network