For more than 35 years, the Colorado attorneys at the The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates have helped families navigate complex matters such as divorce and criminal defense. Our lawyers invest time, energy and resources in order to secure favorable outcomes for our clients. To schedule an appointment, call our office in Denver at 720-773-5708 or fill out the form below.

The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates
724 East 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 720-773-5708
Fax: 303-539-0706
Map and Directions

Parenting time: Your rights in Colorado

Establishing parenting time is one aspect of divorce that you may not be looking forward to. Fortunately, because of how the system works, your child’s wishes, your wishes and the best interests of the parties involved will all be considered. Here are a few facts about the process you may not already know.

For example, the ways you can receive parenting time is if you’ve been married and commenced either a legal separation or divorce, established your paternity, obtained a custody order or qualified as a grandparent. If your parenting time orders only determine or refer to one parent and his or her rights to reasonable parenting time, then make sure to learn about why the other parent wasn’t included. It’s important that both people are represented in this paperwork if possible. If you’ve been given unreasonable time with your child, you can ask the court to change the legal description of your parenting time in court.

Modifying your parenting time can be done through mediation. During mediation, both you and your ex or the mother/father of your child will come together to discuss your concerns and visitation plans. Arrangements can then be made that suit both parties better. Of course, everything settled on must be in the best interest of your child.

Changes in parenting time can affect child support, so keep that in mind. If you pay child support, taking on more time with your child may reduce your payments. Likewise, if you have custody but allow for more visitation, you may receive less child support, since your child is being supported directly. If these answers are still confusing, consider speaking with someone familiar with family law to help you sort out your situation.

Source: The Colorado Foundation for Families and Children, “Connecting With Your Kids” Dec. 03, 2014


FindLaw Network