For more than 35 years, the Colorado attorneys at the The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates have helped families navigate complex matters such as divorce and criminal defense. Our lawyers invest time, energy and resources in order to secure favorable outcomes for our clients. To schedule an appointment, call our office in Denver at 720-773-5708 or fill out the form below.

The Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley and Associates
724 East 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 720-773-5708
Fax: 303-539-0706
Map and Directions

Modifying your child support order in Colorado

In our most recent post we discussed the case of the recent Powerball winner who was discovered to owe $29,000 in back child support. The lottery division of the state where he lives will likely take that money out of his lump sum lottery payment, which will total approximately $152 million.

It is possible that the man in that case may have fallen behind on his child support payments because he could not afford the court-ordered child support amount. This can happen to noncustodial parents when the court orders payments that are too high, or when they face a change in circumstances such as losing a job or having another addition to his or her family.

In such a situation it may be appropriate to seek a modification of your child support order. The Colorado Child Support Enforcement Program has a vested interest in making sure that noncustodial parents are able to make their payments.

If that is the case it is possible to request a review of your child support order. Either parent can request a review by the state child support agency. Both parents then provide information about their income and financial situation for the agency to evaluate and determine the appropriate amount using a standard guideline.

If the agency determines that a change is appropriate, both parents are asked to sign an agreement. If an agreement can be reached it is filed with the court. If the parties cannot reach an agreement a Motion to Modify the child support order can be pursued in court.

Source: Colorado Child Support Enforcement, “Modifying Your Child Support Order


FindLaw Network