Call now to begin your free consultation
Phone 720-773-5708

How do you protect assets at the end of an abusive marriage?

An abusive marriage is tough enough. Many people endure domestic violence and stay in a marriage in the hopes of making it work. Many times, though the union doesn't last. So what do people do about their assets if such a marriage ends and ex-spouses continue abusive patterns?

It can be particularly difficult for abused women to become independent of their ex-husbands. The Huffington Post offers an interesting article about what people should do in that kind of situation. The piece offers a few guidelines about protecting assets. Here are a few of them.

• Get a new credit card. You can likely open a new account by calling the credit card company and explaining your situation or even sending them related court orders.

• Open a new bank account in your name only. To make sure your money stays yours, particularly your paycheck, it's important to break away from the joint bank accounts.

• Change your PIN numbers. Here's a good way to remember it: if a situation is bad enough that you change the locks on your doors to protect yourself against an ex, you should probably change your PIN codes too.

• Take your name off joint debt accounts. This is pretty self-explanatory.

• Keep copies of important documents, including bank statements and birth certificates.

• On that note, establish private communication. This can be accomplished by getting a personal post office box and a new, private email account.

What do you think? Are there other ways people should be protecting their assets?

Source: Huffington Post, "Seven steps to protect your assets when leaving an abusive marriage," Jeffrey A. Landers, Oct. 31, 2011

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

If you need help, contact us as soon as possible.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley

Law Offices of Rodger C. Daley
724 East 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80203

Toll Free: 866-428-3981
Phone: 720-773-5708
Fax: 303-539-0706
Denver Law Office Map

Email:[email protected]